Table of Contents¶
- Required Changes For Mods Using Ares
- What’s New
- Migration Guide
- Restored Tiberian Sun Logic
- Amphibious Image Changes
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
- Firestorm Wall
- Laser Fences
- Multi Engineer
- Multi Engineer Checkbox
- Vehicle Thief
- New & Enhanced In-Game Logic
- Additional ArmorTypes and Verses
- Aircraft-Specific ReloadRate
- Aircraft Smoke
- Airstrike Voices
- CanPassiveAquire Settings
- Chrono Prisons / Abductors
- Civilian Enemies
- Crate Settings
- Crush Damage
- Mouse Cursors
- Custom Animation and Projectile Palettes
- Custom Cameo Palettes
- Veterancy Insignia
- Customizable Parachute Animations
- Customizable Veterancy
- Custom Missiles
- Damage Particle Systems
- Dimming Deactivated Units
- Disk Laser Animations
- Tiberian Fiends
- Drain Weapon Options
- Drop Pods
- EVA Types
- Facings on Units
- Factory Plant Effect
- Forest Fires
- Gattling Enhancements
- Hard-coded Unit Properties
- Hunter Seeker
- Initial Payload (Troop Crawlers)
- Killing Drivers
- Manual Control
- New Powered Unit Logic
- OmniCrusher Enhancements
- Specific Passengers
- PCX Cameos
- Promotion settings
- Radar Jammers
- ReloadAmount and EmptyReloadAmount
- Reverse Engineer logic
- Scorch and Flamer
- Self Heal
- Particle Spawning
- Team Retaliate
- Type Selection Groups
- Unit Lost EVA Report
- Sides & Countries
- Buidling Slam
- Custom Building Foundations
- Enemy Wrench
- Factories and Cloning
- Force Shield
- Lightning Rods
- Passable Structures
- Prism Forwarding
- Oil Derricks (ProduceCash)
- Secret Labs
- Solid Buildings
- Spy Behavior
- Tech Structures Return to Neutral
- Tech Structure Notifications
- Toggle Power
- Trivial Structure Damage
- Urban Combat - Trenches
- Cloak, Stealth and Sensor Arrays
- Super Weapons
- Miscellaneous Modding Enhancements
- User Interface Features
- Bitmap Screenshots
- Campaign List
- Campaign Load Screen
- Command Line Arguments
- Customizable Campaign Buttons
- Customizable Dropdown Colors
- Exit Without Confirmation
- Graphics / Surface Drawing
- Internal Errors / Debugging
- Keyboard Commands (Hotkeys)
- Disabling Keyboard Commands
- Loading Screen
- Lone Player Skirmish
- Menu Button Customization
- Mod-specific Information
- New Game Resolutions
- Random Map Generator
- Release Note
- User Interface Colors
- Comparison with other YR Hacks and Patches
Ares is the new tool to extend the capabilities of Yuri’s Revenge. It was conceived by pd near the end of 2007, and is currently in an early development and testing cycle.
This documentation is aimed primarily at Ares testers, as Ares is a work in progress and subject to many further changes. However, the documentation is also aimed at mod authors wishing to make use of the new functionality that Ares offers.
Ares is incorporated into Yuri’s Revenge via the use of
Syringe, a program developed by pd to ‘inject’ DLL code into a running
executable without modifying the executable itself. In this case, the
Ares DLL is injected into the Yuri’s Revenge 1.001 main
Syringe can be run directly via a command line prompt, or automatically using Launch Base. See the respective documentations of those programs for further details.
Ares is not intended to be used in conjunction with any third party patch that modifies the executable of the game. Ares works by having its code injected into Yuri’s Revenge at very specific points, and modifications to the executable change the locations of these points. This would lead to Ares‘s code being injected in the wrong places, leading to unforeseeable, bad consequences.
Comodo Internet Security¶
Commendably, Comodo Internet Security actually complains when one program tries to modify another at runtime, unlike other anti-virus products, which happily let it happen. Unfortunately, this is exactly the way Syringe/Ares works, making it a so-called “false positive”.
In order for Syringe/Ares to work with Comodo Internet Security, you have to make the following changes to Comodo’s settings (courtesy of eva-251):
Syringe.exeneed to be in the “Trusted Files” list.
- Under “Computer Security Policy” -> “Defense+ Rules”,
Syringe.exeneed to be marked as “Installer or Updater”.
- “Defense+ Settings” -> “Execution Control Settings” -> “Detect shellcode injections” should be checked.
- Under “Defense+ Settings” -> “Execution Control Settings” -> “Exclusions:”
This should allow Syringe/Ares to work properly.
For your own safety, do not ever run a Windows-computer without active anti-virus protection. Computer worms actively scan the Internet for vulnerable machines, so even if you don’t do anything, you could be infected within minutes.
ZoneAlarm is known to prevent Syringe/Ares from
starting. In case Yuri’s Revenge does not start (Syringe
closes immediately), add
Syringe.exe to the
If this does not help, try to stop the service called ZoneAlarm
ForceField Service (
ISWSVC.exe). This is not recommended and you
should re-enable the service as quickly as possible. Thanks to FS-21.
Known Major Issues¶
Ares does not support loading save games or scripted IPB videos that were created with any other version of the game than the very same version of Ares (not even the original Yuri’s Revenge save games are supported).
Even adding load/save functionality for the exact same Ares version is a huge and complex undertaking, so while the developers would like to add loading and saving one day, it will not happen in the foreseeable future.
Required Changes For Mods Using Ares¶
Unfortunately, Ares will not simply “work” without changes to the original game files. The reason for this is that maintaining compatibility with the original game files whilst still offering the enhancements that are Ares‘ raison d’être would make implementing Ares features (both for us, the developers, and you, the mod author) considerably more complex, ultimately wasting time that would be better spent on other tasks.
This section details the modifications you’ll most likely need to make to ensure your mod does not receive any unexpected changes from simply being run whilst Ares is active.
In future these changes will be provided as extensions to the standard files that are included with the YR Unofficial 1.002 Mini-Patch Developer’s Pack.
bombcurs.shp animation needs to have its last frame removed if you
don’t want to see the previously unused skull image. See
Mods should not include their own version of
ares.mix. This new MIX file
is bundled with Ares to provide any new/modified files that Ares
changes/additions rely on. This MIX file presently includes:
ares.csf includes a few new strings:
- GUI:SelectCampaign=Select your Campaign
- GUI:UrbanAreas=Create Urban Areas
- STT:RMGUrbanAreas=Choose whether urban areas will be present on the map.
- STT:MultiEngineer=Engineers can capture damaged buildings only.
- STT:PlayerColorLilac=Choose this to be lilac.
- STT:PlayerColorLightBlue=Choose this to be light blue.
- STT:PlayerColorLime=Choose this to be lime.
- STT:PlayerColorTeal=Choose this to be teal.
- STT:PlayerColorBrown=Choose this to be brown.
- STT:PlayerColorCharcoal=Choose this to be dark grey.
- TXT_COMMAND_DISABLED=The %s command is not available.
- TXT_RELEASE_NOTE= (empty text)
- TXT_SCRNCAP_DESC=Take a snapshot of the game screen. (Saved as ‘SCRN.date-time.BMP’ file in Red Alert 2 run directory.)